Monday, February 22, 2010

The Republicans Think They Can Save Healthcare? Think Again.




So, after being news-starved for several days while in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, the first thing I read this morning was the New York Times. Not much new in the news though. But then I checked the editorials, and lo and behold, there it was; five republicans all set to save healthcare.

I read with interest. Surely, there must be something new that they are offering. But, as I read, it occurred to me. There wasn't. They are missing it, too. For all the talk about healthcare, and even a surgeon/Senator, nothing.

Oh, I know President Obama is now going to have a televised debate about healthcare. I know he is trying to be open minded to the Republicans --or he would have it appear as though he is, at the very least.(I think he is merely trying to show the voters that they are obstructionists, but I digress) He is clearly missing the boat.

He should have a televised program with real nurses, patients,doctors and perhaps some insurance people to to hash it out. We know the deal. We know what does and does not work. Ask us.

I know that the NY Times, nor Washington, nor you, will ever ask for my opinion. But here it is anyway:


I have been a registered nurse for 30 years now. I have watched health insurance change from indemnity plans to managed care. I have watched Medicare change when DRG's were introduced. I have also seen lives saved that would have never been saved before, babies born before their time who survive and elders who keep going despite chronic illness.

I have witnessed the rising costs to individuals, businesses who choose to cover their employees and to the hospitals and providers of medical services.I have seen reduced benefits to patients with "good insurance", denied claims, patients who cannot afford their co-pays or deductibles so they use the ER when sick.

I have seen the elderly cut their pills in half because they cannot afford to pay each month for a refill and I have seen people lose health insurance after being laid off who cannot afford the bloated sky-high premiums and so remain un-insured. There are worse stories. I could go on and on. However, I think it is clear that we need real reform to our current healthcare system.

The current healthcare reform bill is too long, too complicated, has too many twists and turns and lacks a public option. We don't really know what we are getting. And the backroom deals sealed it's fate.

Real health reform involves regulating what the insurance companies can and cannot do. No adverse selection. No cancelling policies because you need services. No changes in benefits without notification to you. How about adding more competition? If I can find cheaper insurance in Rhode Island and they cover the major hospitals in Boston, why shouldn't I be able to buy that?

How about returning to a public option or at least an early buy-in to Medicare? And it should be a mandate that all children are covered. At a low cost. Period.

This is not rocket science. We should not be going bankrupt or having our children die because of profit. And that is what it boils down to; profit for the healthcare insurance industry. Our Senators know it, our Congressmen know it and President Obama knows it.

It is all just another day of bickering on Capitol Hill for them. They have the luxury of never having to worry about healthcare at all. The solution to this seems so easy. But politics being what they are, it has become too complex and too cumbersome because the Washington games get in the way of any meaningful work.

If a Senator has to be bribed to do what is right for this country, then he or she should not be representing the people. They should be resigning in shame. I want everyone to be able to access the wonderful healthcare system that I have been witness to for the last 30 years. Everyone deserves that right.

And it is a right. Just as it is a right to be educated and to have roads to drive on and to speak out freely. It is what we all need and deserve.

So I beg our lawmakers to do what is right, push aside your pride and work together to accomplish this task. There are thousands of lives at risk right now. And right now, that blood is on your hands. I place it firmly in your hands.

It is time we held you accountable.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your insight. The time for lawmakers to work together to reform healthcare is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed your comment on roger cohen column nyt 2-23. my comment also that day is about HOW we get to do what you so correctly say should be done.

    please let me know what you think
    please watch our movies on youtube AOE1776
    and give me an email address if you want to

    bill www.realamerica.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your comment on NYTimes "editor's selections", and I completely agree that the Medicare Buy-in is the way to go. Too bad that reform is looking like a missed opportunity, once again, but the current system is unsustainable and ultimately most employers are likely to drop coverage. Once that happens, reform or a public option will then become inevitable.

    ReplyDelete