Thursday, March 25, 2010

What's it all About, Barry?











What's it all about, Alfie?
Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?
Are we meant to take more than we give
Or are we meant to be kind?
And if only fools are kind, Alfie,
Then I guess it is wise to be cruel.
And if life belongs only to the strong, Alfie,
What will you lend on an old golden rule?
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Alfie,
I know there's something much more,
Something even non-believers can believe in.
What's it all about Alfie?
Just tell me, what's it all about?
What's it all about?



I am not feeling any love today. I thought that perhaps I would.

After all, we have just seen history being made. For us. The American people.

But I have never seen such divisiveness, such vitriol, such anger.

The war hasn't even sparked this much outrage.

But, allowing people to have health insurance has? I just don't get it.

Now President Obama is going out on a tour to sell a law that he has already passed to a nation that is perplexed as to what it all means.

And that brings me back to Alfie. He never really did figure it all out now, did he.

So, what is it really all about? Is that what is sparking the fear? The anger? That we really do not know? That we think it may impact us in a way that reaches into our own ability to receive the medical care that we have been receiving all along? Or is it something more primal?

I know, being a nurse these past 30 years, that our own health and that of our children is a very personal, somewhat intimate thing. And any changes to the status quo can be unnerving.

But, does it deserve this type of outrage? Nothing has even happened yet. Shouldn't we at least give it some time? All this anger is bad for our health. Geesh.

Anyway, I don't think that anyone really knows what it is all about; not Nancy Pelosi, not the Insurance Industry, not even President Obama. He made the play and now we have to just wait to see if we win the game.

So, is this really like the movie Alfie, which tells the story of a young man who leads a rather promiscuous lifestyle until several life reversals make him rethink his purposes and goals in life, but ends with him never figuring it all out anyway? I certainly hope not.

I would hope that this new legislation ends up being good for America. That we can finally figure it all out and know what it has been and still is all about.

Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment